Monday, November 17, 2008

Wagawan en Jamaica?

One of my projects is to work at Holland Primary School on a school garden and environmental club project. This photo to the right is the group of fourth graders I work with, about 20 students. I work with grade 4, 5, and 6 totaling 60 students. This can be challenging in itself- 60 loud, crazy, but enthusiastic kids. The area we’re trying to start the garden still hasn’t been cleared. I’m quickly learning that if you want things done you have to do them yourself. Therefore- I’ve set a work day for the parents and children to come clear the garden. I’ve also written letters to the minister of state and 4-H asking for funding or supplies. Hopefully this will get the ball rolling.
This last weekend we went to Treasure Beach to work on the Moringa Project. The organization is bringing in a man from Africa who knows a lot about the project. He will give presentations to several organizations on island. This will hopefully give Moringa Farms the direction they need. They're looking at using the tree as an animal feed. Currently they’re running a study to document the nutritional value the plant has for animals. Will has been busily preparing for his visit with invitations, contact lists, and attending meetings. . Of course while in Treasure Beach we had to eat at Jack Sprats- the famous pizza place we commonly indulge in~ however almost every time we eat there it upsets our stomachs- this time was no different. We stayed the night with the woman who started the Moringa project in Jamaica- we played scrabble, ate yummy lamb sausage spaghetti, had wireless internet, took an early morning swim in the sea, and played with some absolutely adorable puppies.

There were 7 in total. I'm sure they were infested with heartworm and several other ailments but I couldn't keep my
hands off of them.

After a positive discussion with our supervisor about the inadequate amount of work, we came away feeling more confident about our two years of service. It has become clear that we must find the projects, funding, and expect to execute it on our own. Is this the goal of Peace Corps- I’m not sure- it is my understanding that we are supposed to hopefully work ourselves out of a job…work together with our agency to make a positive difference. That’s what we signed up for when we applied for Peace Corps. Often times we question our purpose here, I have come to realize that maybe it’s just our presence. There is a reason we received an invitation to serve in Jamaica- of all the places we could serve we were sent here and while it may not be crystal clear what our purpose is we have to be content with that fact (thanks Jesse).

After attending several meetings with fellow Jamaicans I have realized they aren’t looking for handouts- but they’ve come to expect it. At whose fault? Probably organizations that continually support them instead of expecting Jamaican’s to put their feet on the ground and become self sufficient. Some questions arise in these meetings about how things are going to be funded, who is going to take care of it and the attitude is that foreign agencies will do that. It’s an attitude that lacks gratitude but is consumed with anticipation from these foreign agencies. And if those agencies can’t or don’t follow through well then; “shame on
you!” This at times can also be hard to swallow- as an american I have dollar signs written on my forehead.

I was finally able to make the national dish of Jamaica (pictured on the left)- Ackee and Saltfish- I have to admit it tasted pretty darn good- maybe it's because Will and I prepared it- self gratification!
As always we love and miss you all! Thank you for all of your continued love and support we greatly appreciate all of it!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there you two. Just hang in there and things will work out the way they should. It may seem hard now but when it is all over you will look back and think that it was all worth it.
Those are some adorable little pupies. When I saw that picture of the stuff with toast I thought it was scrambled eggs with peppers and stuff but I don't know if I would be able to eat that though. Yuck!
Your dad and I are just about ready to send you a package. I hope that you will enjoy everything in it. I think that we should be sending it with in the next few days so you will have to let us know when you get and hopefully everything is okay once it gets to you!
Well we love you and think about you all the time and can't wait to see the two of you again. xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness what cute kids and puppies! Love you two

Anonymous said...

Hey You Two!!
As usual enjoyed your new posting. Sure looks like you'll have some good helpers for your gardening project. Nice to here that things are looking up for the pair of you, will just take a lot of work on your behalf. Good to see that the pair of you got to get some time away at Treasure Beach even having Pizza and a morning dip in the sea and what cute pups. Hang in there we all Love and Miss both of you. Keep up the good work. Stay Safe.
Lot's of Love
Grandma-Grandpa
And Pups

Latah 4-H said...

Hey there,

Is their anything we can do from here to help out with the gardening project. Maybe rachel and I could team up from 4-H and MG and send you some tools or seeds or something? Would you like the Jr. master Gardener Workbook. Lets us know. Miss you!

Simon and Danielle said...

Andrea I always love ready your blog. I have a heard time keeping mine up to date, but it's fun! I love all your adventures! I hope you guys are doing awesome! You look so happy, and I love seeing that! :) Take care!

Annie said...

hey you two, I was just thinking about you since it's Thanksgiving and all. so...Happy Thanksgiving!! Will you be able to eat some turkey today? We are going to go over to our neighbors house in a little bit for dinner and they have kids too so Owen will have a good time with them. We think about you often and I hope all is going well. love you and miss you!!

Anonymous said...

Happy thanksgiving. I am missing you. We are at a beatiful house in Lincoln City OR with my family. Enjoyed the ocean this morning and I took a pic of a west coast jelly fish to post for you when I get back next week. Thinking of you much and missing you much more. All my love and thanks for haveing such a beautiful friend in my life.

Anonymous said...

Hey guys,
Sorry I haven't commented lately. I feel bad for it. But Im glad to see that pretty much grasping the whole thing about what the Peace Corps mean and the actual wording to describe it. I myself dont know, but Ill find out sometime or another. Here in Idaho every thing is ok. Im glad to see that your doing well and I miss you 2 very much. I think about you guys alot at any time being. Love you and hang in there! ♥

~Arika~