Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Daily Struggles

Throughout our time here in Jamaica I have tried to remain extremely positive despite some of the things that occur in our daily lives. However I wouldn’t be doing any of our readers justice if I was always happy and bubbly. Right? I mean we’re human beings and everything isn’t always hunky dory!

This presidential election has made us realize a lot about not only American people but the world as a whole. Will and I struggled immensely with this election primarily because we couldn’t support either candidate 100%. We went back and forth, back and forth, and it was even more complicated not being in the United States amongst all the commotion. We were left to evaluate our thoughts with fellow Jamaicans. This at times was extremely frustrating because they thought if it wasn’t cut and dry for us to vote for Obama then we were racist. This is obviously not the case for us- why would we surround ourselves in a country where we are clearly the minority if race was an issue. This was also daunting because people would also tell us that we should vote for him primarily because he’s a man of color-forget about the issues- Please lord tell me that after the election last night we can honestly say that we have moved past the issue of color and race! I would be lying if I said it wasn’t hard being white in Jamaica- let alone a woman- but that’s another issue in itself. We’re both excited to see what Barack Obama is going to do for the United States of America and bring change and hope to this ever-evolving world.

The daunting task of walking down the street! Pssst pssst pssst….(walk a little faster with your head down) pssst pssst pssst! Hey sexy, hey baby, hey pretty white lady, white girl you’re looking good….there is no respect for women and whilst you try to do your best ignoring it, there are times when I would just like to walk over and slap them silly!

Mosquitoes and now fleas have been attacking us on a daily basis- they don’t congregate in small numbers to take us on either- it’s a large army swarming and attacking us! I have been bit in places I never thought it was possible to have bug bites- I thought the butt was a bad place to be bit- well try your breasts- oh that’s even better- scratching your boobs!

Inconsistent bowel movements are almost a daily issue- it’s amazing how one minute you’ll be feeling fine and the next you’re running to a bathroom- whenever we go places we have to ask where the bathroom is- mostly because you never know when you’ll need it. We also carry toilet paper with us wherever we go. For some reason in most of the bathrooms there isn’t any- just imagine how it feels after sitting down on the toilet, having an inconsistent bowel movement, and then realizing your worst nightmare is true…NO TOILET PAPER!

Things for us started out great in our jobs- we were meeting a uol eap of new people and several projects were discussed however now we’re at a stand still. Our supervisor has now doubled the amount of people he’s supervising and taken on the role of the parish manager for 5 months- where do we fit in all of this- well we don’t really- we sit in the computer lab most days staring at the screen hoping some kind of work will come along! We suggest potential projects however the follow through is lacking and at times extremely frustrating.

The last thing that has made me really sad about Jamaica is the amount of men that cheat on their wives. I am an extremely naive person but there is no escaping the reality of it. For example there are men we know who are model citizens in their communities, god fearing family men, and what are they doing on the side- sleeping with another woman! For me the saddest part is the children- especially the little boys are taught that it’s acceptable so the vicious cycle continues.

I can’t tell you how much I have loved this experience thus far, how it continues to mold both Will and I into better, more accepting, open minded people. However I have to thank the lord everyday that we have our faith and each other to keep us grounded during this wonderful journey.

P.S. I know many of you read the last post and thought when I said we were going to Portland you were thinking Oregon- I hate to be a bearer of bad news but we won’t be there during Christmas- There is a parish in Jamaica called Portland- therefore that’s where we’ll be staying with our Peace Corps friends Josh and Jesse.

6 comments:

loverstreet said...

thanks for sharing your hardships and burdens too, even though it requires more vulnerability. we will pray for you and for the people of jamaica--especially that you and will can demonstrate a different attitude towards marriage and fidelity.
we love you, our ambassadors of peace.

Anonymous said...

Hey you two!!!
Good to see your update, it is good that you shared your daily stuggles with us. We knew that it wasn't going to be easy for you two expecially for you, being white and good looking. Lets hope things get better. I'm glad to see the elections over guess we will see what Barack will do for the American people. Weather here is chilli not even a fly -flying. Hang in there things will brighten up. Keep a positive attitude. WE All Love and Miss you both. Keep Safe.

Love Ya
Grandma-Grandpa
BJ-Heidi-Lady-Shelby

Richard said...

Hate to here about your daily struggles. I was just thinking that you might ought to get an amor suit. Bet that would keep the bugs off. About the great big bugs, don't know what to tell you about them. I guess you heard that i'm going to retire in Jan. Its been kind of a hard decision for me to make. Every night after supper, Lady and I go play frisbie. She never lets me forget. We think about you two everyday and try not to worry, but thats next to impossible. Keep safe.
Love
Grandpa, Grandma
BJ, Heidi, Lady & Shelby

Anonymous said...

Will & Andrea:

Great to catch up on your progress and experiences in Jamaica!!

Not sure how else to contact you Will? Could you email me (bswan@uidaho.edu) so I can include you in the 2008 Northwest AgEd graduate study which includes 20 minutes of online survey and 15 minute phone interview. There is a $25 giftcard thank you for helping with study. I am trying to wrap up before December.

Many blessings to you both!!
GO Vandals!!

ben swan, university of idaho

Anonymous said...

Heyya.
Im sorry to hear about your troubles with the men and all. And that fact that they cheat on their wives is even something more to add. But you both have people who love you and miss you very much. Everyone is always into reading what you 2 post. And its always good to hear from you. But Barack Obama won the presidential elections. So far, what hes planning on doing is pretty interesting, and then theres a fact that his oldest voters was a woman who had gone through the whole black people discrimination thing. She believes that he will change the country-after all his motto is "time for a change." So well see what he does. Hes doing good so far.
But we miss you and love you and the whole package. I think of you guys all the time, through your hard times and all. I love you both, so keep it going and dont give up!
♥/
~Arika~

Heather Janz said...

I know I'm a little late to comment- just wanted to let you both know I'm thinking of you. :) I also sympathize with the ummm.. toilet problems. Its actually a little scary leaving the house realizing it could happen at any time. :) Being a woman in certain countries is also really difficult- hang in there. I know it sucks.
Still, it sounds like an amazing experience, and Matt and I are thinking of you!