Tuesday, October 7, 2008

You want me to eat what....?


We finally have internet back!!!!! Things in Jamaica usually take a long time and that’s no exaggeration! We didn’t have internet for nearly 3 weeks plus our phone lines are still down! To me this is insanely crazy…people haven’t been able to get work done because the farmer registration system is all online- go figure! My apologies for not updating our blog sooner, it’s just been a little crazy and not being able to use internet at work has made it sometimes inconvenient. I keep forgetting that there are some things I want to discuss with my fellow readers. So here it goes:

The first week we were back in Santa Cruz after being sworn in we attended a church function. While there we indulged in something called Manish Water- (I’m not entirely sure that’s how you spell it) I had no idea what it was. When the woman handed it to us we could smell the hot steamy soup. It didn’t smell nice at all, in fact it stunk! It reminded me of when we raised goats and the bucks would smell of urine during breeding season. I tried to get past the stench and take a sip of the warm drink. Upon doing so I nearly barfed in my mouth! Will and I both decided we weren’t going to choke it down. We asked the nun sitting with us what was in this particular soup. She explained to us that it’s a delicacy in Jamaica- the contents include: the head, feet, and belly of a goat! No wonder it smelled like a stinky buck! The following day we once again indulged in some more soup…this time chicken feet soup! This wasn’t nearly as bad. It smelled nice and contained some wonderful vegetables. However it is extremely hard to get past the fact that there are indeed chicken feet floating in your soup (not little feet either). Will and I both ate two bowls of it. Not so bad! However I’m not sure how much more soup I can eat- it reminds me of lunch as a child- “Who wants Meatloaf Surprise??”

That same day we also met a nun…her name Sister Eva! She has been one of the sweetest ladies we’ve gotten to know. On Sundays when we see her at church she always asks how we’re doing and tries to give us something. She has given both Will and I a new pair of Crocs, rice crispy cereal, rice, beans, and peas (all in quantities to feed an army). We really appreciate her kind and genuine heart. Going to church brings me a lot of comfort. It’s nice being able to find one thing familiar to us in this unfamiliar place. Church here lasts slightly longer but I don’t really notice. Will and I are considering getting involved in the youth ministry where we would do some religious education with the kids. It’s saddening because several of them can’t even make the sign of the cross.

Some of the things we took for granted and miss:

1. Windy Roads + Potholes = Bumpy Ride (We’ve both miss a smooth, quiet ride in a car)
2. The seasons….It is sad to know the leaves are changing and fall is upon everyone there! It’s still hot here :)
3. Bug Free Houses! The mosquitos, cockroaches, lizards, etc. are everywhere and nearly impossible to keep out
4. Having our own car and being able to drive anywhere at anytime
5. Good Italian food and Starbucks! (this was a given)
6. Our friends and family!

However there are many things to love about living here!

1. Every week we go to the market and buy fresh produce- this is GREAT!
2. In our backyard we have lime, mango, cherry, coconut, avocado, and orange trees. In the morning I can pick an orange for breakfast and for dinner an avocado to have with dinner.
3. We have both lost weight- we’re not sure exactly how much- we found a scale for sale at a store in town and weighed ourselves- we’re guessing between 10-15 pounds each!
4. Our Supervisor! He’s our guardian angel and a truly genuine kind man! We both love working with him and the staff at RADA
5. The working pace…everything is so much slower- this is a nice change from our fast paced lives in America
6. The scenery- there is nothing like a sunset in Jamaica and there are some really nice beaches and I hate to say the word but “tourist” attractions

All of the pictures are from our lastest visit at Treasure Beach a little over a week ago: Enjoy


Meet myfriend Mr. JellyFish- "You Shall Be Mine And I Shall Call You Squishy"




Boat at Treasure Beach

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was really a treat to see your update today--was getting a little worried since we haden't heard anything for a couple of weeks-so the food hasn't changed much but sounds like you two are making the best of it "I knew you could" even your new friends you have aquired. Take it your package has still not arrived maybe this weekend its only been a month. Both of you take care we Love both of you and miss you.
Be Safe and take care.
Love ya lots.
Grandma-Grandpa
BJ-Heidi-Lady-Shelby

Reyes 'Ohana Blog said...

It's so nice to hear from you guys and know that everything is going well there :) The soups sound YUMMY ;) Wish we could send you some Tucci's & Starbucks :( Anyway, keep the updates coming 'cause Cisco & I constantly look at your blog & wonder what you guys are up to. We miss you guys tons!

Anonymous said...

Hey there guys, It was great to hear from you this morning. I made Rachel log on and read to. I miss you tons and though of you when we went to the new Gambinos the other day. The food is great and the wine even better. It shall be a date when you return to the states. Check out my my space there are some new pics of the kids. Jake has 2 football games left and sis is busy with cheer and ballet. Kenna, well lets just say I am about ready to put her in a box and ship her to you. I will call soon. Much love, and prayers. The Knott's

Josh said...

I sometimes get mannish water and brackish confused. (that's awkward)

I love you guys.

Anonymous said...

Andrea!! How's it going!? I hope you guys are having a good time... I'd trade you some of this fall rainy Nova Scotia weather for that sunshine if you'd like! lol I wanted to tell you I got a blog spot... I joined the team! Look us up at SimonandDanielle.blogspot.com I still don't know much about this thing... just started today, but i'll be in Germany this weekend, and hopefully Suzy can teach me a couple things! :) Anywho... love you and take care! Danielle

Erin and Michael said...

WE LOVE YOU!!