Friday, September 12, 2008

Chuggin Right Along!


There is so much to share from these last two weeks I’m not even sure where to begin!

We came back to our sites after Gustav- There wasn’t a lot of visible damage however when we went to work on Monday there was nuf nuf damage to assess. We spent the majority of the week visiting farms and looking at the damage caused from the storm. From this a document was compiled and sent to the Ministry of Agriculture which should help aid some of the farmers who suffered the most damage. It is calculated that St. Elizabeth suffered about $25 million dollars worth of loss.

In the midst of all this we moved into another house. We actually ended up moving in with the secretary we work with. She has more space and lives alone which is different from the 9 total people we were living with before (including us!) We have really enjoyed getting to know her and actually feeling like we’re a part of her family!

I went to a farm on Friday because there was a man there claiming to have lost 25 goats. The minute we arrived (myself, my counterpart, another extension officer, and a man from JAS) the farmer was extremely angry. I won’t get into a lot of detail as to why…lets just say politics here can make people FREAK OUT!. When my counterpart went to introduce me to the man he was extremly angry. He said, “I know who she is! She works with RADA!” My counterpart dumfounded said, “Well, why are you so angry about that?” The farmer went on to explain that she is one of those whitey’s here to destroy him, you know the ones from the CIA! I kind of chuckled as did the group from RADA I was with. This was my first encounter with someone who wanted to have absolutely nothing to do with me and the work I was trying to do. To make a long story short- the farmer couldn’t show us his goats- turns out he doesn’t even own any! This is probably why he was so angry with us and why he accused me of being with the CIA- to unveil him being a fraud and taking advantage of the government.


The photo on the left was an actual goat farm we visited- not one a farmer made up...I saw it with my own two eyes:)

On Saturday Will and I attended the first ever meeting held by the women of St. Elizabeth. The organization is called SEW (St. Elizabeth Women) this will be a primary project for me as I will be working with these women in several different areas. One of my first projects is to teach the women how to make products from goat’s milk. I will be teaching them how to make soap, lotion, cheese, and several other income generating products. I will also be doing some training around the parish on composting, organic farming, and environmental education.

This week has been packed full of more exciting things. Will has started working on a project dealing with the Moringa tree. It is the
hope that this tree will be grown throughout Jamaica as it has several uses. Our hope is to make oil from the seeds in the pod grown on the tree and market it as cooking /spa oil. We went and visited a woman, who is willing to grow 10 acres of the crop as a test plot while we find an industry to produce and manufacture the oil and a marketing plan which will include education on the product.

The cattle above were a small road block on our way to YS Falls!

Finally we went to Lovers Leap. I will try to make the story short and sweet since I’ve babbled on enough in this posting. Before emancipation there were several plantations owned mostly by the British. Tunkey and Mizzi were both slaves working on plantations located next to each other. It is said that Tunkey and Mizzi fell in love but were not supposed to see one another because the owner (we’ll call him Mr. Slavedriver) of Mizzi was actually in love with her. Mizzi’s brother despised the fact that she would run off every night to visit Tunkey because he knew that if she could be with Mr. Slavedriver he would have a better life. Mizzi’s brother told Mr. Slavedriver that every night at 9 p.m. they meet (at this place where Lovers Leap is currently located). There are two endings to the story but I’ll share the one I hope happened. At 9 o’clock Mr. Slavedriver showed up and surprised them. Looking at one another they realized there was no way out. They didn’t want to be separated so together they decide to jump to their death.
Lovers Leap!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was great to see that you finally posted some more stuff. We are all glad that you both like your new home with the secretary. It sounds like things will be better for the two of you there. I am happy to say that I am no longer unemployed. I just finished my first week with a new job in Meridian. I think that it will turn out to be a good job even though it is a bit of a drive to and from. Let us know what the address for your new house so that we can send you guys some goodies. Well better go now. We love you guys.

Emily,Rick

Anonymous said...

Hi Andrea & Will
Just a short note to let you know we checked out your new posting and realy enjoyed the news and the pictures.Glad to here that you like your new home it will make it a little easier having more room and different atmosphere then your last home. Sounds like the two of you have a lot of things to do in the next 2 years. I love the scenery and pictures you posted. Sorry that some people don't like whitey's it would really be hard to try to blend in (need some dark tanning oil just kidding)
Both of you take care and stay safe. We all miss and love you very much.
Lots of Love
Grandma-Grandpa
BJ--Heidi-Lady-Shelby

Anonymous said...

Hi from Bix. I like the Chuggin along story. Watch out for fake farmers.

Erin and Michael said...

I am a big fan of the Lover's Leap story...Sad story but a fan all the same..I enjoy the picture of the goats and I really want our package to be there already!!!! RIDICULOUS!!!

Love you guys lots and lots!!!
Erin and Michael

Anonymous said...

What beautiful pictures.. I love the story of the Lovers Leap how amazing.. So your a whitey huh, that is to funny, better to be a tighty whitey, then to have streaks.LOL well as you can tell I don't get out much.. We went to Silver City this past Sunday, it was pretty fun, we dumped colin off with Brad and Danny so they could ride there bikes in and we drove the rest of the way, so we could tour some of the houses, it was open house, they have some pretty cool house but my gosh, no flat ground, walk up, walk down, don't trip over the rocks and kill yourself, But Grandma, Emily and the kids we had fun, I haven't been there since I was in Church Camp, many moons ago.. And Thank Goodness we made it home, because the next morning my Pickup wouldn't start the next day, and still won't but Uncle Colin is figuring out what is wrong, She always gets us to a safe spot so far everytime she has a sick spell, Thank Goodness, I would have hated sitting up there waiting to be rescued and I don't think Grandpa would have wanted to come that bad.. Well anyways, I just want you to know your Always in our Prayers and Thoughts.. Love you two.. Be Safe... Enjoy your new living quarters, sounds awesome or as they say now SICK...Hugs Aunt Tracie

Sassie is sitting looking at me so I guess she is saying Hello also..