Tuesday, March 18, 2008

To Be Read at Your Funeral

It's hard loosing someone you love so much. My great grandfather was truly inspiring throughout my short life. My travels after Melba High school took me to the University of Idaho. I knew this made grandpa especially proud. He always spoke to me about his experiences in Vandal Country- His $150.00 railroad scholarship that brought him to northern Idaho to study Dairy Production. There is one story I’ll never forget. Before driving home to Melba in the winter time he needed to buy a wool jacket. Grandpa’s dad told him to only use that checkbook in the case of an emergency. Feeling as though this was a true emergency he wrote a check for that jacket. There was snow on the ground and he was traveling home with some friends in a jeep without a top. When grandpa got home he had to explain why he had just spent $10.00 on a jacket.

He was also the inspiration behind raising those fantastic Farner pigs- Durocs to be exact! He always said they were the best! There is nothing better than a fat, fine, red hog!

His love for my grandma Treva has also given me great strength. I find that strength shining through in my own relationships! When she passed away in July 2000 he was absolutely crushed but fought for eight years without her! My grandpa is truly a special man and I will deeply miss his smile, friendship, and love however I know that right now he’s smiling down from heaven cradling his wife in his arms.

A reading that gives me great comfort can be found in Revelations chapter 21 verse 4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

He always used to say- I prayed for you today Andrea and now I can say to him- Grandpa- I prayed you would find happiness in the lords kingdom, Welcome home!

1 comment:

Andrea Read said...

so crazy. i was googling my name out of boredum and came across this blog. my name is andrea and i go to Melba High School.

i just thought it was pretty crazy. lol