Monday, March 9, 2009

Progress....finally Progress

What can I say....things are falling into place! Is it real- boy I sure hope so! Last week was busy with little tasks here and there. As you read in the previous post I was able to give a talk to about 160 kids about Peace Day and my role as a Peace Corps Volunteer.

On Wednesday I was able to do my very first farmer training! It was great!
This is something I had always kind of hoped I would be doing- working directly with farmers. I did two different trainings to farmers that grow hot peppers. The first was on Biological Pest Controls- how to control pests in a more natural way rather than using pesticides and other harmful chemicals. The second training was on why it's important to keep farm records. There were about 20 farmers at the training. It was at a hot pepper farm, very hands on, and the farmers were very interested in everything each presenter had to offer. What a GREAT DAY!

<-- Holland Primary School Kids

On Thursday- one of my small dreams came true- We finally did some planting at the primary school in Holland! I have three blisters on my hand
which are very painful but totally worth it! Will also came to help and together we helped the kids prepare the ground, carry water, and plant callaloo, lettuce, and corn. I also have some cucumbers and cabbage to plant but we had to start those seeds in small trays. It was inspiring to see so many kids out using the tools to prepare the ground, carry bucket after bucket of water, and get their hands muddy and dirty all in the name of FARMING! Of course it was a hard day because it was not the mechanized farming we're so used to. Instead we had to take a pitch fork, shovel, hoe, and pick to agitate and dig up the soil- oh the pain!

Will is setting up several Production and Marketing organizations with computers and will soon start doing trainings on basic computer skills. He will also train them how to keep accurate farm records on the computer. He has also been busily working with the head RADA office in Kingston to get his Crop Estimates program off the ground- hopefully next month there will be a system online that the entire island will be trained on- all courtesy of my amazing husband!

I need to take a deep breath.....okay! So as you can tell things are really starting to pick up for both of us! We're taking baby steps and being patient, understanding, and above all cooperative. I can't even put into words how much this experience has changed Will and I. We have grown so much as people together individually and in our marriage. I see Will becoming more confident in himself and the ways of Jamaican culture and I'm learning to not take everything so seriously- I can't change the world but by golly I can make a difference in a few peoples lives and I am content with that! We just have to sit back, take a deep breath, and learn to laugh at our mistakes and celebrate those small victories.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I AM SO PROUD OF YOU BOTH!!! Your patience is certainly paying off and I'm so happy to hear that you're both really coming into your own. Andrea-- How awesome to finally see the pikni dem working in the garden! How did you ever get teachers to let them finally get dirty??
Awesome job guys, keep up the great work you are doing!

Anonymous said...

I am happy to see your new update. Sounds like things are starting to look upward and hopefully forward for the two of you and all the hard work and ajustments you both have had to do since you arrived eight months ago.

Your kids look like they are enjoying the planting of the garden. They will like it more watching it grow and seeing the finial product and knowing they took part in it.

Keep up the good work we all Love and miss you both take care and stay safe.

Lots of Love
Grandma-Grandpa
BJ--Heidi-Lady--Shelby

loverstreet said...

just like your time in jamaica, those plants that required difficult, extra, painstaking work are going to yield amazing results. things that cause a few blisters tend to reward us with heartier results.
way to keep pushing until the silver lining started to eek its way out.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun guys!!!

In Ag we talked about like how some pesticides may be like...killing off plants and blah blah but they also were strangthening Eagle eggs and stuff. I dont rememeber exactly how we talked about it but we did!! Thought you should know..

I love you guys! have fun bye love you

Jennifer L said...

We found your blog too and are excited to start stalking you as well! ;) We've enjoyed reading about your experiences there, sounds like times can be frustrating, but I hope that overall they are good and satisfying. We will stay in touch! Love, the Leiningers