Thursday, August 14, 2008

Pictures

Just wanted to let everyone know that we now have a new link to our pictures on the left side of our page. The link is titled 'Schumaker Photos'. This link will direct you to a flickr page at which point you will be able to view all of our posted pictures.

Secondly, our address has been moved to the right hand column.


We're back in good ol Santa Cruz- been here for a week now! Crazy how time flies! The last thing we had to do in Kingston before we left was unveil the compost pile we've been working on! I wish I could show you all a before picture! There was so much trash!!! However this is the after picture- our environmental group in front of the dandy looking functional compost pile!

There are a few things I would like to share that I'm learning about the Jamaican culture.

1. Speaking patois is a joke! I sound like the biggest moron going around saying "ya mon," "mi jus takkin et eazy man," and "waagwaan!" However Will and I hunker down, grind our teeth, and get through it.

2. Jamaican men LOVE women! They love women no matter what the shape, size, or color. They stand along the street and pssssst women they find attractive. Needless to saying there is a lot of psssssting on the street. Not just at me but at several of the women! This can be extremely annoying however I just ignore them and keep walking.

3. Our host mother's sister washes our clothes (for a small fee $J900) The first time she decided to do this we gave her a uool eap ( a lot ) of laundry not really thinking anything about it. About 5 minutes later she came running in hollering my name. I went into the kitchen to meet up with her. She stood on her tippy toes and whispered in my ear, "Andrea I can't wash your underwear can you please come take them out?" I shook my head yes and walked out in dismay to remove my underwear. I asked her if I should take Will's too- she told me no she would wash his dirty smelly underwear but not mine! Later I found out that women wash their own underwear! Even if you put them in a washing machine a womans underwear have to be washed alone!

4.The typical jamaican dish is rice and peas (kidney beans), chicken, and cabbage salad (kind of like coleslaw). This can get old after awhile! However Saturday we received a real treat! Pig Tail Soup! Will was much more brave then me! I gagged and decided to pour the soup back into the pot when my host mother wasn't looking! Will ate about half his and then did the same as me :)

5. Jerk Chicken is truly delightful! Will's favorite is Jerk Pork! On any day you can drive alongside the road and find little huts serving bits of delightful jerk chicken, pork, and goat!

6. There isn't a McDonalds to be found on the island (thank goodness) however Burger King and KFC are huge here! When we were in Kingston we ate at TGI Fridays! It was soo good- but left us both with upset tummies!


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Andrea & Will
Glad to see the updates you posted to let us know what you two are up to and the new pictures of part of your new adventures over there which is a little differiant than one would think. Looks like your host family are taking very good care of the two of you. Keeping busy which helps the time fly by. Enjoy your cable TV and the Olympics in your spare time. Keep safe and remember we all love you two.
Love ya
Grandma-Grandpa
BJ-Heidi-Lady-Shelby

Anonymous said...

PS
could you fix Tusla Time for me
lots of love

Anonymous said...

Hey there you two! Sounds like you guys are having a great time. I like the pictures that you posted. I had to email your site to myself at work so that I could show everyone what you guys were up too!! They all think that its great what you guys are doing. Time sure does go by fast though. It's hard to believe that it has been almost two months since you guys got there. Only two more years left. Not a lot going on around the old homestead. My sister is coming tomarrow and next week Jim is coming and then I have lots of work ahead for the end of the month. The kids start school next week too!! Ya hoo!! I don't think that your dad is too excited though. Well, you guys take care. We love you both.

Emily

Anonymous said...

Hey guys,

sorry no talk in a while. We ahve been at the fair with the kids. Jake did great with his first market steer. You would have been prou dof moo, she was as social and bossy as ever. Hailey wowed the judges as usual with her cheerleader smile. Miss you tons. What do you need? I will ship it./

Anonymous said...

Hi Andrea & Will, Just wanted to pop in a say Hello and to let you know we were thinking of you two.. It was great talking to you and hearing about the adventures you guys are taking in. So as always be careful and stick together..Thinking of you Always.. Hugs.. Love U's
Aunt Tracie

Kooter and Sassie Hello, sending Doggie Kisses...

Erin and Michael said...

I love that it sounds like you are eating like me!!!! I wouldn't have eaten the soup either!!!! Love you too!!!